Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thoughts during the process

I find myself going back and forth between the different aspect of the book. First I had a concept of an ancient robot made during the time of the Second World War, a super soldier for the Americans captured by the Nazis, brainwashed and made into a metal superman through the use of cybernetics and occult powers. This superman leads the German's Stahl Reich (the Steel Empire), an entire army of metal supermen against the allied forces of Earth and conquers them all. Hitler becomes a living robot city, with his body at the center of the city. Every citizen in his world-wide empire is implanted with a bio-mechanical link that binds them to their Uber Fuhrer. When this is not enough for the living robot city Adolf Hitler, he turns his attention to loftier goals. At the height of its power the Nazi empire attempted to open a gateway to the Multiverse. Instead they ripped open a hole in the fabric of reality and dimensional energy poured in. The landscape of our reality would never be the same.
.....From this point on, the plot became a little flimsy. I thought of the original American super soldier turned Nazi Super Soldier as being this repentant avenging knight. The backlash from the gateway inadvertently breaks the restraints that the Nazi's brainwashing had over the soldier and he is his own master again.....and this is where the plot gets even thinner. I thought of this soldier hunting down all the other remaining soldiers of the Stahl Reich over the course of thousands of years, but then I was like, "why?", what is the point? Where does that go? Is it just a plot device or is this the point of the story? It just seemed a little stale and overdone. Shades of Highlander, etc.....
I decided to switch gears in the process and do some drawing. I wanted a robot, that much I knew, but nothing else. I collected dozens of pictures of various robots and looked at them over and over again for some inspiration, but the visuals that I had in my head were blurry and just on the tip of my proverbial brain. I wasn't getting anything useful. I ended up drawing a horrendous picture of floating bot shoots oval rays at a badly drawn victim, whose bursting guts are actually drawn better then their connected body.
Watched some anime, thought of the things that I like from dystopian futurism, and thought about the visuals behind Blade Runner the movie, and the twisted perspective of a junkie painted so vividly by the poet P. K. Dick. I opened a hard cover sketch book and paid it the proper tribute by drawing something truly amazing. It was a simplistic design, with the focus being more on the altered perspective of the piece, and less on "technological details".
I had wanted a sort of 50's style look to it, and I definitely missed the mark on that one. What I did manage to find in my search for this unidentifiable robot, was a really far out, laid back design. It flows nicely, even after I sodomized it when I put down the ink......Inking really is not my thing. Anyone who thinks that inking is easy is either an asshole, or is someone who naturally possesses the inking ability, which in turn makes them an asshole for having that ability.
Give me a grades of pencils and I will spin you gold made of gray tones. But give me a pen, of any caliber whether it be a bic or one of those really fancy art pens, and I will inevitably alter, fuck-up, or in other ways mutilate that picture. And it's like, it's my picture, why can I not trace over my own fragging lines? Because I'm obviously lacking in that particular go-juice that inkers have. I draw, that's what I do. In comic lingo, I would be the penciler. Somebody else would then take over and do that beautiful magick that they do.
Unfortunately I don't know anyone who inks, and even if I did, I wouldn't let anyone slap ink on my work. That just wouldn't fly.......So anyways, now the robot is not just a ex-nazi super soldier turned mercenary. He's also a soulful singer/song writer who is trying to get his music career of the ground. I thought it would be really cool since I'm attempting to do a multi-media project like this, to mix different genres of writing as well, so we'll see some poetry come out in his lyrics.
Of course this is all set to the backdrop of a dystopian future in a anachronistically mutated world ruled by mechanized nazis and populated by every conceivable being. Is there just too much going on? Am I trying to set too many plates spinning at once?

No comments: